[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fw: Quadrantids from Cambridge Bay, Nunavut RE: (meteorobs) An evening with the Quadrantids

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Bedingfield" <stephen@SkyRiverdot ca>

Bruce McCurdy wrote:

> >     Well I have a friend who lives in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut,
where the Sun set on something like November 28. I daresay there are some
disadvantages, but among other things, he observes for the Novaya Zemliya
effect (anomalous "sunrises" due to atmospheric subducting). And he gets the
Quadrantids maximum every year, at the considerable risk of bitter weather.
So you can observe from anywhere.
*******
I had a chance to view the Quadrantids for about 45 minutes from just north
of Cambridge Bay (69ºN 105ºW) 0130-0215 UT before the cold (-30ºC) and the
breeze (20 km/hr) tempted me back to town for supper.  The sky was about 6
mag., clear to the North and East with crystal to the South and West.  There
were a few bands of aurora to the South about 100º span to an 40º alt.

 About 0140 i noticed quite a bright meteor streaking between Gemini and
Orion.  Peaking around 0150-0210 i observed ~8 meteors up to ~40º around the
radiant usually very faint. The Quadrantids were about 30º alt and i did
observe 1 very faint streak South to North.

I wanted to echo Bruce's comment that one can observe from anywhere and
enjoy astronomy -- observing goes on just to different degrees of comfort
and seeing!  And each place is unique; here in Cambridge Bay i get a great
northern circumpolar sky.  On my way to work yesterday, Jupiter hung like a
beautiful jewel in the western sky -- it was 9:00 AM and today i observed a
Novaya Zemlya Effect for about 1/2 hour (it was the only one observed this
winter with all the cloudy weather we've been getting.  On the other hand,
the circumpolar Sun reduces summertime observing to one naked-eye star and
the Moon.

 (Scutum?  What's that?),

stephen
--