[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: OT Fwd: First object in space

Mike,

1.  There was no debate here.

2.  The original post was from our webmaster.

3.  When I picked up the thread I marked it OT for off topic, though I
don't think it is.

4.  The same people who lauched the mission I described early (or a related
group of researchers-I don't have time to look it up) also launched a
mission which  on the way back down into the atmosphere fired metal pellets
(or a single object-I now forget which) into the atmosphere thereby making
artifcial meteors! A number of meteor science papers no doubt arose from
that work and some of our present knowledge no doubt stems from that
project.

Clear skies,

TRR

>Hi:
>
> To end this debate.. the SOVIET UNION was first in space. Sputnik 1957
>and Yuri Gagarin - 1961.
>
> Now back to meteor observing please!!
>
>--
>Clear skies
>---------------
>Michael Boschat
>Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
>Astronomy page:  http://www.chebucto.nsdot ca/~aa063
>
>"Circling the Earth in the orbital spaceship I marvelled
>at the beauty of our planet. People of the world!
>Let us safeguard and enhance this beauty - not destroy it!"
> - Yuri Gagarin - First Man in Space - U.S.S.R.
>The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
>To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
>http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

Office Location: Science Center Room 102

Packages must be shipped to:

Terry Richardson
College of Charleston Dept. of Physics
58 Coming St., Room 101