[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 23 AM, 2003 observation from SE KS (MATBE)

Have been successful in getting a couple of short sessions in over the
last week.

July 22/23  :65 minutes  18 meteors

Time - 0100-0210 Central Time  0600-0710 UT 7/23/03
5 minutes downtime during the session.

Was camping with Jill and Ashley in the Mined Land Wildlife Area
in extreme SE KS, about 15 miles from the OKLA state line.

Zenithal Star was impressive - 6.85 at start, 6.55 at the end, due
to moonrise.

FOV - SSE 60 degrees.

Meteors Seen (18) - 4 NDA, 3 SDA, 2 PER, 1 Alpha CAP, 1 ANT,
4 Sporadics, 1 possible early Kappa Cygnid (it does line up with
extended out radiant motion drift, magnitude 0), and 2 sporadics
from Aquila.

Separated the sporadics from Aquila as they were seen again
a few nights later, see below & 7/26 AM post on them.

Here is something for the professionals to consider.  Activity from
that Aquiliid radiant is roughly the same distance NW of the
N Delta Aquarid radiant, as it is to the S Delta Aquarid coordinates.
Thus extending the line NW toward Aquila, there has been three sources
of similar meteors this summer for me from radiants roughly
equi-distant apart.

Meteors are similar in characteristics.  Anyone with radiant catalog
info from Aquila late in July?

As stated, I got out for 90 minutes on July 26/03 AM and saw 3 more
of these meteors - radiating from just W of  Altair, perhaps 2 or 3
degrees.

Regards,

Bert Matous
Overland Park KS