[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid obs, Sharon Massachusetts, Dec 13 /Dec 14

Just spend a delightful hour with quite a few long, slow, bright Geminids
and one beautiful sporadic which could have been an Ursid.

Gorgeous, slow, yellow to green Geminids!

Unfortunately, the advance cloud shield of the coming Nor'easter forced an
early end to the fun. Will have to wait until Monday evening for a chance
to catch the denoument.

Richard
---------
Richard Kramer Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

EST 19:30 13 Dec  to 20:30 13 Dec
UTC 00:30 14 Dec  to 01:30 14 Dec

14 Dec
UTC              Teff   LM   Gem    Spor    Total
00:30 - 01:00    .97    2.5    5       1       6
01:00 - 01:30    .97    2.5    6       0       6

Magnitude Distributions

          -2   -1   0   1   2
Gem       1    2   3   4   1
Spor      0    0   1   0   0

Notes:
1. Limiting magnitude estimated from zeta Perseus (mag 2.8) which was
marginally visible with effort.
2. Observation while facing towards Orion, center of field was Aldebaran,
no obscuration
3. Cloud shield from storm approaching from WSW was not a factor in the
field of view
4. Temp 19 F, winds light and variable, sky clear in field of view
5. Colors of brightest GEM were yellow or yellow/green, colors of mag 1 or
dimmer GEM were green
6. The single sporadic seemed to be an Ursid, Mag 0, green, 30 traverse
beginning a little SW of Cassiopeia, similar speed as the GEM, no train.
Sky was obscured in vicinity of URS radiant, so conservatively listed it as
a sporadic, but it was very likely an Ursid.
7. The mag -2 GEM left a 1 to 2 sec green train
8. Although LM was approx 2.5 in Perseus, I believe I probably missed many
mag 2 and dimmer because of glare from lights on the horizon.
9. Used Aldebaran and Capella as principal guides for magnitude estimates.