From: "Wesley Stone" <wes_stone@lycos.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Owls

> I often see and hear Barn Owls during astronomy sessions.  Great Horned
Owls and Killdeer are fairly common as well.  Last night also featured a
couple of midnight songs from a White-crowned Sparrow, flight calls from
Yellow-rumped Warblers, and some unidentified night noises.

> Barn Owls are pale underneath; occasionally, I'll catch one in my
peripheral vision and briefly mistake it for a weird, slow nebulous meteor.
I've only mistaken a meteor for a Barn Owl once, though, and that was only
for a brief second before the Earthgrazing Leonid flew over my head and
suddenly brightened to a -8 terminal burst! (In 1999)

> One time in summer, up at Larch Mountain in the Columbia River Gorge, I
heard a Barred Owl calling and amused myself by calling back to it.  This
went on for awhile, and then the owl stopped.  I figured it had given up,
until I caught the dark form hovering silently above me.  Gave me the
willies.

> Michael, where are you observing from? Over in the Medford area?
>
> Clear skies,
>
> --
> Wes Stone
> Chiloquin, OR