[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

Sue and Alan French wrote:

>     I completely agree that long focus instruments can give wonderful deep
> sky views as well.  Our 10" f/9.5 Newt and 8" f/11.5 Apo are both wonderful
> deep sky scopes - but not for wide-field objects.
>
> Clear skies,  Sue

Sue,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I ever say or imply that a large aperture, long
focus instrument was appropriate for large extended objects?  No, what I said
was they are perhaps more useful  for observing *small* DSO's than rich-field or
small telescopes are.  Can we just let it go at that or must you have the last
word? :-)  Remember this all started in response to Penny's assertion that one
should not use high magnifications on deep-sky objects.  You most certainly can
with the right telescope and appropriately selected objects.

Dave