[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Barnard's Loop, Naked Eye or Otherwise

Bruce Jensen wrote:

> From: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>
> >
> >From a fairly dark site in south central Pennsylvania I have observed
> the Rosette's nebulosity through an O-III filtered 20" f/10 classical
> Cassegrain at 127x.
>
> Wow! You surely didn't see the whole thing at once in this rig...

Exactly, but the view was very good.

> >At the opposite extreme I was able to see a part of NGC 2237 as a dim
> glow through my 80mm f/5 Orion ShortTube refractor equipped with a 26mm
> Tele Vue Ploessl (15x) and an Orion Ultrablock filter on board the MS
> Veendam during the 1998 solar eclipse cruise.  Of course, in the tropics
> the Rosette Nebula was much higher in the sky and it was really quite
> dark on the ship's upper forward deck.  I've also had some great views
> of the Rosette through a variety of instruments at the Winter Star
> Party.
>
> These sound more typical I think.  The 80mm Shorttube is a great travel
> scope, eh? Good enough for decent views, cheap enough so it doesn't
> break your heart if it gets bumped around.

I have used the ShortTube quite often since I got it for the 1998 solar
eclipse.  It is a great travel scope but no one should expect to do any
planetary observing through one.  False color rears its ugly head at well
below 100x.