[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Fw: Controversial astronomer Hoyle dies at 86 - Ananova Alerting

----- Original Message -----
From: Ananova
<533a2030303161776f2d303030394c4e2d38305aba6326@alerts.ananova.com>
To: Patrick Maloney <patrick@yellowbrook.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 10:08 AM
Subject: Controversial astronomer Hoyle dies at 86 - Ananova Alerting

> The astronomer and science-fiction writer Professor Sir Fred Hoyle has
died.

> The 86-year-old was best known for his book A for Andromeda and for
outraging his fellow scholars.

> He picked up a string of awards and served for a period as president of
the Royal Astronomical Society.

> He provoked amazement among scientists for his work with Professor Chandra
Wickramasinghe, claiming that Darwin's theory of evolution was wrong and
that influenza epidemics came from space.

> Confirming Prof Hoyle's death Prof Wickramasinghe, head of mathematics at
University College, Wales, has paid tribute to a "distinguished" scientist.

> "He has changed the way that we think of the universe more profoundly than
any other astronomer in the last century," he said.

> He said Prof Hoyle suffered a stroke three weeks ago.
>
> Born on June 24 1915, at Bingley in Yorkshire, Prof Hoyle was made a
Fellow of the Royal Society in 1957 and knighted in 1972. He served as
president of the Royal Astronomical Society from 1971-3.

> Prof Hoyle crossed the boundary between fact and fiction, writing A for
Andromeda in 1962 which was turned into a television series.

> Most recently he had served with Prof Wickramasinghe as an honorary
professor at the University College, Wales, within the applied mathematics
and astronomy department.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_380358.html

> SIGN UP TO RECEIVE BREAKING STORIES ON:
> Astronomy
> http://www.ananova.com/alerts/login.html?alertstring=4868
>

> CHECK FOR MORE ON:
> UK
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=UK
>
> Deaths
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Deaths
>
> Science and discovery
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Science+and+discovery
>
> Books
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Books
>
> Space
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Space
>
> Astronomy
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Astronomy
>
> Sir Fred Hoyle
> http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Sir+Fred+Hoyle

> To register for more news, to remove yourself from this subject,
> or to find out more about Your News service from Ananova,
> Visit http://www.ananova.com/alerts/signin.html?fromemail=yes
>
> Lost your password? You will need your password to access your
registration.
> Visit http://www.ananova.com/alerts/forgot.html?mode=forgot to request a
reminder.

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: