Constellation: Com
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
Holy Smokes!!  I heard this galaxy was great at the eyepiece, and I would rate
it as one of the best!!  A long edge on galaxy standing straight up and down
at its current position in the sky. The long extentions were very narrow and
the central core bulged in the center. What was so striking was the obvious
dust lane extending the entire length of the galaxy. It was detected at 70x, and
was even better at 140x. The dark lane was direct vision obvious near the core,
and detected through the bottom limb with averted vision.  The upper extention
seemed to show the dark lane better than the lower.  I could see the dust lane
extending to the north with direct vision, but not the southern limb. The lane
was not centered and ran along the extreme right side of the galaxy. Which makes
sense as the galaxy rotates, it would have shown on the bottom.......which it
should.  Anyway, this gets an A+
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: