[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Sunspot vs Meteor Activity

>it seems that meteors, being of lower average altitude, would have more drag
>(thus more luminescence), which would make them more visible

Then George, by this reasoning would we also expect to find a correlation
between observed path lengths / train durations and the solar cycle?

By the way, in support of your observation, one of the most important uses (or
so I'm told) of detailed satellite observations is to monitor the constant,
rapid (cyclic and "random") fluctuations in atmospheric density, based on their
effect on satellite orbits.

If the atmosphere is in flux enough to affect low-orbit satellites on a weekly
basis, then it's variation is at least fairly significant. Whether it would
affect observed meteor data is another question, of course.

Lew