[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Double Stations

<< Since it had been broght up now, what is the ideal distance (baseline) for
 double station work?

 GWG

------
To be really honest George...I just looked in the IMO Handbook for
Photographic Meteor Observations dealing with double station work..dot since
this is an area that I've never had the opportunity to participate in I
couldn't tell you from experience, but reading in the IMO Handbook, I see it
can get very complicated in determining what would be an ideal baseline. If
I'm interpreting a chart on page 70 properly, it appears that at 120 km it
wouldn't be very good at all. whereas at 100km a little better and at 80 km
the best I can tell. There are apparently several factors to
consider...namely where will the meteor appear in the sky for both
stations...if at one site it will appear low on the horizon, it will be less
likely in a camera's field and even appear dimmer. Sorry I can't be of much
help, but until you hear otherwise, I think a safe assumption would be near
80 km or about 50 miles.  Perhaps the Dutch observers or other European
observers are more familiar with giving recommendations in this area? I
believe they do it more routinely?
George Z.