[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteorite fallen on a car in Franc

From George Zay:

>most fuel tanks on cars that I ever see were under the car. A 3 lb
>meteorite isn't going to travel thru a metallic car and still have
>any umph to do anything to a fuel tank.

Try this experiment.  Go up to the top of the Empire State Building and
throw a small brick off it.  Be sure to aim for a parked car.  You'll
probably miss and create a deep crater in the pavement, but if you do
hit the car, my point will be proven.  Now, imagine what would happen if
an extremely hot chunk of rock, falling from a much-greater height, hits
the rear of the car.  It would smash through the trunk, the fuel tank,
and still leave a crater in the ground.  Even if the tank doesn't
immediately explode, fuel would pour out of the fuel tank and hit the
hot meteorite and...KA-BOOM!

Steve Sutton
Springfield, Georgia
N 32 36 59   W 81 30 59
---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~ Welcome to the 9th dimension.  Small, isn't it?