[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN LM Charts

<<
 My .02 on the LM Charts.  I would like an all-sky chart, with the
 major constellations plotted, and the LM chart areas outlined.  I
 could go from the all-sky chart, to the appropriate LM chart quickly.
 Of course, there's no substitute for experience (which I have very
 little).

------------
Gregg,
Are you referring about having an all sky plotting chart with the LM areas
marked out to do your plottings on?
If so...I think it would be a very cumbersome chart for both you in usage and
difficult for Rainer to reduce at IMO. If you are referring to just an
all-sky chart showing all the LM star count areas for LM determination only,
you might be able to do this with several plotting charts reduced in size and
then taped together? Perhaps even photocopying the whole she-bang onto one
large sheet? The constellations wouldn't be neatly connected because of the
charts being gnomonic and they overlap from one chart to the next. But
perhaps close enough.

What I personally do is this. I have a little notebook with enough charts to
show all the plotting areas combined tucked into plastic sheets. In the very
back, I have the conversion tables. The conversion tables are not labled by
the star count area number, but rather a name I gave them in relation to the
constellation or some other prominent area in the sky they are near. such as:
Star Count Area #3 I refer to as the star count area in the "Big Dipper
Nose". Star Count Area #9 I refer to as the star count area in Leo. Star
Count Area #18 I refer to as the star count area near M-31. And Star Count
Area #11 I refer to as the star count area Bootes ...and so forth. I find it
easier to remember where the star count area is at by noting a constellation
landmark rather than by a number. In the long run, it helps me to remember
where the star count areas are located I think?
George Zay