[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re[2]: Cetids

Hello Bob,

Sorry to have kept you waiting so long.
I also beleive that two Cetids belong to Taurid complex.  In fact,
several Xi Cetid meteor were caught by TV and those orbit were similar
to that of Taurids.  Thought I espesially distinguish two Cetids from
Taurids, because there is a activity gap between Cetids and Taurids when
I successively observed Taurids.  If you are an experient observer, you
should know that Cetids (maybe Southern Arietids) and Southern Taurids
are simultaneously active.  Of course, I don't think so because the
radiant locates in Cetus/Aries during October.
However, I evaluate that IMO deleted Piscids from the previous part of
Taurids and reduced Taurids activity about five years ago.

Clear skies,  Takema.

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:37:02 -0700
Robert Lunsford <lunro.imo.usa@prodigydot net> wrote:

> Takema,
>
> This area of the sky is very interesting this time of year. I believe
> that your two Cetid radiants are related to the overall Taurid complex
> which is now situated in eastern Pisces, southern Aries, and northern
> Cetus. Experienced observers who plot are able to dissect the many
> radiants that are active simulteanously in this part of the sky. For
> those new to meteor observing and to plotting I would suggest labeling
> these meteors as October Arietids as the complex is in fact centered in
> the constellation of Aries during October. Other groups designate these
> as North or South Taurids which is fine as it is in fact the same
> shower. This suggestion is just trying to help the new people who are
> going to ask why is the Taurid radiant located in Aries and not Taurus.
>
> Clear Skies!
>
> Bob Lunsford

thashi@din.or.jp  Hashimoto, Takema
Minor Meteor Shower Circular(MMSC)