[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Gems sluggish from Sicily

----- Original Message -----
From: theodora jones <trjones_99@yahoo.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 7:15 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Gems sluggish from Sicily

> Greetings to all,
>     I managed about an hour and ten minutes of
> marginal Teff this morning from "The Island of
> Overcast" here in the central Med.  My site was from
> up on "The Piano" on Mt. Etna and I must say I was a
> bit disappointed by the Gems all told. I had
> considerable interference from large patches of cirrus
> clouds the entire session, but still had enough clear,
> dark sky areas to keep me going.  Rates for the Gems
> seemed barely 20 an hour as best as I could judge.
> Conditions worsened after this period so I packed it
> in.  The data:
>
> Dec 12/13, 1999 Location:  Piano Provenzana, Mt. Etna,
> Sicily  Facing: SW  CFOV: Alpha Tauri
>
> 0040 - 0150 UT z.s. var (5.5 - 6.5) 30% cirrus clouds
> 21 Geminids  1 Dec Mono 1 Chi Ori  6 spor  29 total
>
> The Geminids:  Two were zero mag and one of these was
> vivid yellow, two others were 1st mag., all others
> faint.  No trains.  Nothing really sensational, they
> would seem to have a LOT of picking up to do!  I will
> try again tonight, weather permitting (Ha Ha!).  Hope
> the rest of you did better then I did!!  Ciao, Paolo

Paolo,

Don't worry too much about the rates at this stage, as all the showers show
some variation on the nights before and after maximum. Brief observations
from the UK this morning, seem to indicate that the Geminids are, if
anything showing signs of being possibly slightly better than I expected, at
least.  Unfortunately, cloud amount was too great to allow any kind of
serious watch to be conducted.  Conditions are forcast to be very good from
most of the UK, although I'm not counting those Chickens just yet.

Hope the weather is favourable for you on max night,

best wishes

Trevor Pendleton

TREVOR@eakring99.freeserve.codot uk