[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Non-IMO Showers

At 04:18 PM 2/2/00 -0800, it was written:

>As for who who assigns the three letter acronyms, Rainer Arlt is the
>acronym master for the IMO but as his counterpart in the AMS (visual
>program coordinator) I'm sure he is open to a few suggestions from me.
>The DMS has separate shower designations.

With the gradual computerization of meteor observation databases, it might
be a worthy project for someone to step in and specify a set of standard
shower names and acronyms.  The variable star community works from a
standard set of constellation abbreviations, and a standardized system for
naming new variables, making it fairly easy to discuss individual stars and
search the literature for info on a given star, etc.  Perhaps we should
join them in a similar system for naming meteor showers.

The logical body to decide specifics and approve such a system would be IAU
Commission 22, much as the Small Bodies Names Committee, a committee of IAU
Division III, handles minor planet and comet names and designations.  CBAT
and the MPC act as agents for IAU in the actual administration of these
naming programs.  Some similar body would need to step forward and accept
responsibility for administering a similar standardizing program for meteor
showers.

JB

Follow-Ups: References: