[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor spectrum components

John, thanks for the quick reply! It must be quite late across the Water right
now? BTW "micrometeorite" is subsumed in the definition of "meteorite" I gave:
the definition doesn't directly state whether a meteorite MUST be preceded by a
visible meteor. (Though I don't think "meteorite without a meteor" would be a
good definition of a micrometeorite - I think some micrometeorites are actually
associated with meteors which are detectable by radar, if no other way.)

Anyway, I accessed the wonderful site you mentioned:

    http://www.astroarchive.com

(which by the way, is also an excellent way to search for old threads from
'meteorobs', although it only goes back to 1998, not to our very beginning.)

Using the search terms:
        meteor and spectrum
and selecting the "Meteorites" list to search in and "All" results to show,
I came up with three particularly interesting responses, including one from
Ron Baalke of NASA, and one which quotes the AMS's FAQ on fireball colors.

The gist of all these responses: observed fireball colors are due to many
factors - not least of which subjective effects of the observer. Also, the
spectra of most meteors show measurable contributions from all of ionized
meteoroid material, ionized air, and black-body radiation.

Give the Web site another try, John!

Lew