[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Reviving the old "where to look" discussion (NOT!)

Reopening the "perception coefficient" debate wasn't enough pot-stirring
for me, so I thought I'd ask the following question. :)

A statement was made not too long back, the effect that looking more than
15 degrees away from a radiant begins to introduce measurable errors when
the observe attempts to trace meteors back to that radiant.

I don't have my IMO observing guide handy, but I wanted to ask about the
geometry and/or observational data behind this statement. Does observing
at 20 to 30 degrees from the radiant (which I often do) really reduce my
quality of radiant association? If so, how exactly, and by how much?

(If this topic is inappropriate for IMO-NEWS, feel free to respond only
to 'meteorobs', or to me privately if you wish.)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <GRALE>