[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Huan Meng's -10 Perseid of August 12/13

August 16, 2001

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

Forgive me fellow meteor hunters if the following
seems a bit off topic at most; but I feel it to be
highly important for all enthusiasts in the hobby to
know, as it does relate to meteors more than you may
think.

I was simply stunned by the huge Perseid (-10 mag.)
fireball witnessed by Huan Meng on the night of August
12/13 from Xinglong, Hebei, China.  It detonated in
the sky and was reported, if I read Mr. Meng's report
correctly, to have produced a sound like a train after
appearing about 200 sec, although I do not know if
Huan meant 200 sec. after it was first spotted or 200
sec. after it disappeared.  Nevertheless, this
sighting is very significant.  It has the possibility
of braking the popular theory that most meteor
showers, such as the Perseids, are only composed of
cometary material.  The fireball reported shows
evidence that the Perseids are not just composed of
"dirty snow", but rather in my opinion, stronger
material, possibly chondritic.   The brightness,
duration, and the sound which could have been a sonic
boom of some sort, is rather typical of meteorite
falls.  Investigation of this bolide may actually
recover possible, surviving fragments.  It should be
noted that China has a very good fall recovery record
and fireballs of -10 mag., if I'm not mistaking, often
produce surviving meteorites.  If I am not picking
apples too far on a limb, I think some major surprises
are in store if any specimens from this bolide are
discovered.

I would be very appreciative if this post could be
forwarded to Meteorite Central's mailing list or the
like.

My e-mail is marktfoxvdb@yahoo.com. or
unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com.

Hope to hear a sonic boom (not too close though!),

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI