[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Huan Meng's -10 Perseid of August 12/13

Hi, Mark and Bob,

Enjoyable idea indeed, Mark, as Bob's saying.

> Interesting idea Mark but are we 100 percent certain this was a Perseid?
> Another interesting point is that the other -10 Perseid seen at 13:37 UT
> on the 14th left no sound whatsoever.
              ~~~
(Sorry Bob, it should be the 13th here.)

First, I'm quite sure (almost 100% certain) the first -10 is a Perseid, as
the angle velocity, the position, the direction and so on, all corresponded.
The detonating is sure, too. But the sound, only I heard it. It was low and
blunt. Some others had also discussed it with me, but I still believe that
my perception is true.

Yes, there did be another -10 Perseids in the next night.
On the night of 13/14, we had moved to the top of the mountain to observe.
There, wind blew strongly all the time. In my tape recorder, the noise of
the wind even influenced my voice sometimes. In such condition, it was
almost impossible to hear a sound, which was as low as the one in the last
night. Of course, it was also possible that the fireball in the next night
hadn't phonated at all.

By the way, you maybe have noticed the second -10 fireball was divided as
sporadic meteor. But in fact, the trail of the second -10 fireball was also
can be traced back to the radiant of Perseids. But, the angle velocity of it
was slow (speed: 2) and the angle distance between the radiant and it was
long (about 50 degrees). However, it might be really a Perseids, too.

If Mark's theory is right, very unfortunate, the fireball appeared in the
eastern sky, and travelled towards the east. For our place, I'm afraid it
probably would fall in the sea even if it became a meteorite.

> It's also interesting that the trains on these fireballs possessed such
> a short duration. My experience with Perseids that bright is that they
> will leave a persistent train visible to the naked eye for 3-4 minutes.

Er... In my opinion, the short persistent train maybe caused by the cloud
above the skyline (horizon), as the altitude of the fireball was not high. I
think other observers' reports can be references ("Perseids from China [3]",
ZHUJI's report and Ju Zhu's report in our list, as I mentioned above).

> Finally, I interpreted Huan Meng's description to mean that the sound
> was heard 200 seconds after the meteor itself was seen.

Your interpretation is perfectly right, Bob, thanks.   :-)
But the 200 seconds is estimated. On account of my recording method, I don't
know the real value. But perhaps others recorded it for me. I'll ask them to
help me to know the precise one.

All best wishes and Clear skies!
Huan Meng   <meteorobs_menhu@hotmail.com>