[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coming in November Sky & Telescope: "Is This the Leonids' Yea...

In a message dated 8/28/01 11:45:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dedalus@alum.mitdot edu writes:

<< Browsing the Sky & Telescope Web site today, I noticed the following
 'teaser' for an article in their November issue:

   Is This the Leonids' Year?
   Six experts predict 5,000+ meteors per hour during November's
   shower; two others disagree. We've got the full story." >>

Hi Lew --

    The feature article on the Leonids was written by me (my fifth for S&T)
and the meteor scientists who were approached for their opinions on this
year's shower were:
Esko Lyytinen and Tom Van Flandern, David Asher and Rob McNaught, and Bill
Cooke and Peter Brown.  Those are the six whose findings will definitely be
noted in the article.  I'm not sure whom the other two are, though the
article was a bit "in flux" in recent days -- especially with Peter
Jenniskens latest announcement (in Sweden), so the final version "may" or
"may not" quote him.

    Basically . . . Dan Fischer's E-mail of August 25 pretty much gives a
thorough summary of what the above scientists are expecting for this coming
November.

-- joe rao