[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 2002 really isn't that unfavorable moon-wise....

I just checked some programs that give moon position and, while it will be full,
at 1030UT on Nov. 19th on the East Coast of the US, the moon will BARELY be
above the Western Horizon if I'm using the programs correctly...at my location,
the extreme Western horizon is blocked, anyway, and I generally am looking south
and east;  and I was favorably impressed by what I saw of the Leonids in 2000
despite them being "ruined" by the moon.  Given some of the ZHR predictions for
2002, I wonder if, in fact, for many people in the US  the 2002 Leonids won't be
more impressive than 2001 Leonids?

I think people are so used to "normal" showers with ZHRs at 100 and under and
limited numbers of bright meteors  that some of the articles and forecasts
discussing the 2002 Leonids are making too much of the moon "ruining" them.

Much depends on what the population of fireballs and bright meteors will be but
it seems it was higher than expected this year.

John Krempasky

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: