From: "cat" <calohr2@comcastdot net>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 8:05 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Not another 'Leonids 2000???'

: They have talked a lot this year so far about the Leonids for this
: upcoming November.  I have a suggestion, lets go to Hawaii this
year:-)
: ____________________________________
: :
: : >
: : >
:  Langbroek: Marco also made some predictions or estimates about this
: : > year's
: : > activity, he also posted them here on 'meteorobs' saying:
: : >
: : > - 7 revs trail ZHR 2500 minimum to 7100 maximum
: : > - 4 revs trail ZHR 3000 minimum to 6500 maximum
: : >
: : > ....with chances best that the minimum figures are the ones to go
: for, he
: : > suggests, especially for the 7 rev trail.
: : >
: :
: : Hi Jure and others,
: :
: : I should ad that the paper with this forecast has now been accepted
: by the
: : Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society and should appear
: somewhere
: : this summer.
: :
: : In all honesty, I guess we are still in a stage where predictions
are
: not
: : foolproof, and we just have to wait and see. We can discuss a lot
: now, which
: : indeed can become very confusing, but clarity about the issue will
: only come in
: : November...and maybe even then... And it will only come if people
: WATCH and
: : report. Of course, I hope my avenue into this issue has some value.
: If I am
: : correct in what I point out in my paper, then I should not expect
the
: very high
: : rates some predicted (of order 10 000 - but I think David and Rob
no
: longer
: : support that value either) to become true. Well, the only thing we
: all can do
: : is go out and SEE coming November. For what appears to be something
: on which
: : EVERYBODY agrees, is that we'll get a very nice show again, with
: certainly very
: : entertaining rates. Mind you, while not in full agreement about the
: level of
: : activity, all predictions do predict rates at at least minor storm
: levels. Now,
: : if you are a pessimist (or a realist perhaps...) then you would
keep
: in mind
: : that of course ALL predictions could be wrong too... Well, we'll
: see...
: :
: : Marco
: :
:
:
: The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
: To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our
Webform:
: http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html