[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Problems...

Karl and All,

As for the Alpha Capricornid and Sagittarid problem, I agree that these two
sources will be difficult to distinguish. At this time in early July, the
antihelion would be the more active radiant so any meteor from that region
is most likely a member of the antihelion radiant (Sagittarids). As the
month progresses the Alpha Caps equal the strength of the antihelions and
can even surpass it during the last week of the month. Since they are
currently twelve degrees apart it may be possible to distinguish between the
two by using a dark string (such as a shoelace) out in the field. Place the
string over the path of each meteor you see and then trace the path
backwards. If it passes closer to one radiant than the other then assign it
to the closer radiant. If it passes through both radiants you can use the
angular velocity to help you. If the meteor travels ten degrees per second
then chances are it belongs to the radiant that is furthest away. If the
meteor travels closer to five degrees per second then chances are it belongs
to the closest radiant.

As you can see, in order to distinguish between these two sources, you need
to know the location of each radiant on the nights you observe. The radiant
drift for the Alpha Caps is 0.9 degrees eastward in right ascension and 0.3
degrees northward in declination each night. The radiant drift for the
antihelion source is 1.0 degrees eastward in right ascension and 0.2 degrees
northward in declination each night. The positions listed in my weekly
outlooks are exact for Saturday night/Sunday morning July 5/6.

I hope this helps!

Bob