[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Additional information on daylight fireball

Group,

Important! Both photographs still seem to have their EXIFF-headers, wich
contains data usually stored by the digital camera when pictures are taken.
This header can be read by any advanced picture viewer. I'll copy the
contents here for your convenience:

First photograph header:
Camera Model Name: FinePix S602 ZOOM
Shooting Date/Time: 24-9-2003 19:13:37
Tv( Shutter Speed): 1/220
Av( Aperture Value): 2.8
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: 200
Image Size: 1280x960
Flash: Off
File Size: 345KB

Second photograph header:
Camera Model Name: FinePix S602 ZOOM
Shooting Date/Time: 24-9-2003 19:18:18
Tv( Shutter Speed): 1/105
Av( Aperture Value): 2.8
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: 200
Image Size: 1280x960
Flash: Off
File Size: 337KB

According to this information: the pictures were taken at 19:13:37 and
19:18:18 camera time (=local Wales time; UT +1?), on wednesday 24/09/2003.

It is very easy to manually change or fake these parameters, but I doubt an
average teenager would think about this when submitting a fake photograph
to APOD. Therefore, this data convinces me that the pictures are real, and
not the result of advanced computer software (please do note that modern
software, like Alias-Wavefront's Maya, allows the creation of
photo-realistic "particles&fluids"-effects that are absolutly amazing...)

Ofcourse, we still don't know what we are seeing on these pictures. Here
are some personal thoughts:
-Take a look at the second picture (
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasadot gov/apod/image/0310/fireball2_burnett_big.jpg ).
Why would light still be emitted from the cloud, eventhough 5 minuts have
past since the first photograph?
-In the second picture, some exterior parts seem brighter than the core?!
(->reflections?)
-Why wouldn't we have heard about such fireball event earlier?

Anyway, there's only one way to learn more; let's contact "Jon Burnett"
(Burnskatejon@aol.com), and get more details. If we are talking about solar
reflections here, we should be able to derive that immediatly from a
personal report of Jon's visual experience. I'm convinced this will be the
case, eventhough it would've been a **beep** amazing picture :-)

Kind regards,
Geert