[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: predictions for Perseids 2001?

Mark,

You are certainly overdue for some better luck! Why don't you try this;
aim your camera toward Polaris so that the northern horizon is just
below your field of view. By aiming your camera low it is viewing a
thicker column of atmosphere which in theory should produce more
activity. The zenith is actually the worse area to view meteor activity
both visually and photographically. If your horizon is extremely hazy or
light polluted you may be forced to raise your aim somewhat to avoid
fogging your film.

I hope this works for you. Let us know how you fare this time around!

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

"Mark S. Williams" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Pardon the very basic question here. I've shot perhaps 200 frames during
> both the Persieds and the Leonids over the past 5 years and have yet to
> catch one meteor in any of those frames. I usually shoot 5-10 minute
> exposures depending on seeing conditions.
>
> I usually point the camera at 40-45 degrees "off axis" from the radiant, in
> the case of the Perseids either at  an azimuth of about 75 degrees (ENE) or
> 300 degrees (NW) depending on light pollution at our observing sites.
>
> Obviously this year's Perseids will be "polluted" by moonlight, dictating
> shorter exposure times. I plan on 3  to 5 minute exposures depending on the
> seeing conditions and will likely rent a 50mm/f1.2 as suggested  by Mike
> Linnolt and 200 speed film.
>
> So my question is...where to point the camera? I gather from some comments
> here on the reflector that aiming to Polaris might be a good bet.
>
> Am I right about on the "curve" having no "hits" in 200+ frames or am I
> overlooking something else?
>
> I'll have a new  tool in the "arsenal" this year...a tracking drive...my 35
> mm cameras will be piggy-back on a new NexStar 8!
>
> Sorry about the basic nature of my questions...but I'm hoping  to improve my
> results this year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark S. Williams
> Elizabeth, IN